Vocab Bracket Battles

In the spirit of the NCAA Basketball finals, students’ ELA homework this week consists of a Vocabulary Bracket battle which is due Thursday.  Students should put the 8 bulleted words (listed on the upper right corner of the worksheet) in random order to the left of the brackets so that they can face off against each other in pairs.  Students then write a sentence using BOTH words and declare which word seems to be more powerful in the sentence and thus the winner (completely up to the student’s discretion).  They do this for all four pairs, and then two pairs of winners face off again until a winner is declared.

This worksheet is double-sided with the nouns battling on the first side and adjectives from our list battling on the back.  Students who declare the same winner as the majority of the class will receive hillbills.  An example is provided below:

Word Bracket Example

One thought on “Vocab Bracket Battles

1. I really didn’t mind this homework. It was really fun especially when we got to see who came up with the most words. Plus, we have a chance to win hillbills. Even though I didn’t get any I still thought that it was fun. We should definitely do this homework again for our vocab words because that is a really good way to practice them!!!